Sunday, January 17, 2010

R-E-S-P-E-C-T..........

It's been an exhausting few days.

Are you tired of hearing that yet?

Thursday, J, K & V went to Edmonton.

Friday, K had appointments at the Recruiting Centre at Canada Place.

We got to go to his swearing in ceremony.
There were 3 recruits that day.
One was re-inlisting for a Clerk.
Marie was going in to be and Naval Officer, and K's official title is "Ordinary Seaman Luck!"
hahahaha
That's where the "RESPECT" part would come in....he has a title!

It was pretty exciting to be there, and I really felt  privileged to witness it!
We cheered for all three, as Marie didn't have anyone there at all.
The Officer, (and be darned if ANY of us could remember if she was a Lieutenant or Corporal or what!) gave a really great speech, about family, basic training etc. She was genuinely enthused about the recruits that day! Almost brought a tear to my eye.


You know I do really well until they make it about US! The family at home yadda yadda!

Don't forget that our troops need all the support we can give them, so if you're so inclined, you can write to them here. We do this at the lodge sometimes, and we write to "Any Canadian Soldier" and get a list of addresses at this site.
I'll distribute K's address when we're allowed to write and send care packages!

I also told him about the 'Cards for Troops' that my cohorts in the states do.
They make blank cards for all occasions, Birthday, Mother's Day, Thinking of you, etc. and send them for the soldiers to use. It's not like they can run to the store and pick up a card for any occasion!
K, "Is there a charge for this?"
Me, "No!"

After the swearing in ceremony, there were volunteers set up at Canada Place for you to give blood.
J & K wanted to so I said OK!
V didn't want to, and had a cold besides.
I did really good, until the nurse and I got to the part about what kind of cancer I had.
She opened a HUGE binder, and said, "See, it says right there that you can't give blood."
Me, "WHAT?"
Her, "This book is compiled by physicians, and it says right here that you're a code 0900(Or whatever)."
Me, "That's crazy, I'm past the 5 year mark, who do I write to?"
Her, "Well I have to put here that you were REJECTED and why, if they change the rules they'll let you know."
I was so disappointed that the nice lady in charge of the cookies and juice for after, felt sorry for me, and I got to have cookies and juice anyway, and visit with her while we waited for the boys!

We got K on the plane to Toronto yesterday morning, and headed on the long journey home!
We were probably home before he was in Toronto, cause we left him 90 minutes before his plane took off!
I'll certainly be thinking about him, as they're allowed NO contact with anyone for the first 4 weeks.
Wish him luck!

Ta ta for now!

No comments: